Monday, January 5, 2015

Maryland Crab Cakes



I grew up on the water and around blue crabs all of my life. I learned to pick them when I was between the ages of 3 and 4, and ever since then, I've been obsessed! (My Pop Pop and Dad deserve all of the blame... but I'm not at all complaining!) :) 

Crabs have and probably always will be one of my favorite things to eat. If you ask my Grandmom toward the end of each summer - she will be the first to tell you that after the numerous crabbing trips per week that Dad and Pop Pop make, she's hit her crab maximum for the summer. We've always been spoiled - we were always use to having them at home to enjoy, surrounded by friends and family.
(Again - no complaints here!) 

Some of my favorite memories are from sitting around the table on the
screened-in porch at my parents, picking crabs.

For obvious reasons, I love incorporating crab meat into as many dishes as I can. Crab cakes are one of the things that are extremely easy to make. I love making them to put on top of salads, to eat with chicken and steak dishes - there's a ton of endless pairs that you can serve them with - or you can make them a meal themselves!

For New Years Eve this year, I made caesar salads with jumbo lump crab cakes for my girlfriends and I. They were delicious! Here is the easy recipe that I used. 

The recipe yields 7 large crab cakes or about 14 small crab cakes.

Ingredients:

1 lb. crabmeat
1 large egg
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1.5 tsp. dijon mustard
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
2 tbs. butter, melted
Old Bay Seasoning

1. Drain the crab meat and dry thoroughly.
2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except for the melted butter.
3. Begin rolling your desired size crab cake and place on a cookie sheet. 
4. Brush melted butter on the tops of the crab cakes.
5. Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes. 

When they're done - enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment