Thursday, November 13, 2014

DIY Chalkboards + Quotes!

Before our wedding, I had purchased two large rustic-looking picture frames from TJ Maxx. I wasn't sure what I'd use them for (originally, I was thinking to frame pictures from the wedding) - but I loved the way they looked, and they were only $8.99. For that price, I ended up buying both of them and knew that I'd find use for them somewhere/somehow.

Wedding time came! I wanted to have a sign by our favors (mason jars with little tags, and crab mallets with our names and wedding date etched on them), and I wanted to have a sign beside our candy bar. 

While at Michaels for other wedding supplies, I picked up a can of black chalkboard paint. (Note: Be careful when purchasing your chalkboard paint. I didn't know that there are different colors. At that time - Michaels carried green and black [now - you can get a variety of other colors], so at first I mistakenly picked up a can of green before realizing that it wasn't the black that I had wanted). At this time, chalkboard paint was becoming more popular  and I had seen other people spray painting different things to use as a chalkboard - I definitely wanted to give it a try!

My dad, a few days before the wedding, took the glass out of the frames and set up shop in the garage to spray paint them, to turn into chalkboards. Here he is getting the job done:



He went over the glass numerous times to make sure that there were thick and even layers of paint. After drying (we waited 24 hours), we put the glass back into the frames, and they looked amazing! They had looked like we purchased them as chalkboards, instead of picture frames - I was extremely happy with how they had turned out.

I used chalk to write out the messages that I wanted for our favors and candy bar. After the wedding, I invested in liquid chalk pens - which I like better than using regular chalk sticks, it's also much easier to use (also pretty inexpensive - I think the 4 pack was around $6).




I wish I had better pictures of the signs next to each of the tables at our wedding. These were taken while we were setting up before the wedding, and putting everything in place :)




After our wedding, I continue using the chalkboards for different things. They were used at my girlfriend Alison's wedding, and I used them for other parties and showers that I have hosted throughout the year. I hung one in our kitchen and I love writing out little quotes and sayings on it, and changing it up often. I find a lot of my ideas on Pinterest for lettering and different designs.

Here are a few that I have pictures of. I wish I had taken more pictures of other quotes that I had done in our kitchen, or at parties, to show. Mental note to myself for future chalkboard-ing!


This will always be one of my favorites (above) -
this song reminds me of my Pepa.



There are a ton of sayings and quotes that I can't wait to try for the upcoming holidays. For as easy as it was to make the chalkboards (and for only $8.99/each) - they sure have gotten a lot of use so far! I can't wait to see what I can use them for in the future, and will continue to enjoy updating the one hanging in my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment