Sunday, November 23, 2014

DIY Holiday Burlap Garland with Lights

I came across this idea while scrolling through Instagram last week - (thanks Sam for the idea!!) It's so easy to make and I loved the way it turned out, adding a little extra holiday decoration to our TV stand in our living room.

Materials:
- String of indoor mini lights (I used a 9 ft. strand of 35 clear mini lights)
- Burlap ribbon (I chose to use 3 colors - green, tan and red)


I was able to get all of my materials from Michaels. I had originally picked up a small string of lights from Big Lots for $2.50 - but after a coupon that I applied to my total purchase at Michaels, I ended up paying only $1 for the lights, so I returned the other strand that I had previously purchased from Big Lots. I knew I would put the garland across our TV stand - so I chose the 9 ft string (however, depending on where you're putting your garland - you may want to choose either a longer or shorter strand). 

For the ribbon, I was planning on using red, green and tan rolls of burlap - then planned to cut and size them into small strands; however - Michaels was having a huge sale on their ribbon, and it was cheaper (and much less of a hassle) to buy the burlap ribbon to cut into pieces, vs. the large rolls of colored burlap to size and cut.

To begin, you'll want to cut your pieces of burlap. Mine were approximately 2.5 inches long.



Next, you can begin tying your burlap pieces to the strand in a knot, so that they are touching and close to each other. 


After knotting your strand - you're done! It's that easy :)

Here's the garland on our TV stand in our living room - we love the extra light it gives off (and not to mention - how cute it looks for additional holiday decor!)



No comments:

Post a Comment