Sunday, March 1, 2015

DIY Craft: Making Your Own Coasters

I've been waiting to try this project for months! I've had all of the supplies ready but things have been so busy lately that I haven't had enough 'down time' to devote to crafting! This past weekend my girlfriend Alison and I finally sat down to make these coasters!

Supplies:

- 10 Acrylic Bathroom Tiles
- Scrapbook Paper
- Mod Podge
- Acrylic Coating / Sealant Spray
- Felt Pads
- Paper Cutter / Scissors

The only items that I needed to purchase for this craft that I didn't already have were the bathroom tiles, acrylic sealant spray and felt pads. The tiles I found online though Home Depot (click here). They do not carry them in-store, so I had them delivered to my local store so that I didn't have to pay for shipping. I ordered the tile in White Ice, but they carry a variety of colors that you can choose from if you wanted to make your coasters more bold. The acrylic sealant spray, I picked up at my local Michaels store with a 50% off coupon. The felt pads I picked up from TJMaxx for a few dollars cheaper than what I found them on Amazon for.

For any crafts that include Mod Podge or anything sticky, I like to use a big piece of cardboard as my "work station" so that I don't mess up any of my counter tops or my glass-top kitchen table.

Directions:

Gather all of your materials and pick the scrapbook paper that you want to use for the design of the coasters. Alison and I opted to make each coaster a different design - and I'm so happy with how they turned out!


First, we traced a tile on each of our scrapbook pages. After cutting them out, we used the paper cutter (to ensure clean straight cuts) to trim about a quarter of an inch from each side. Once you're done cutting each of the papers for the tiles, you're ready to start sticking them to the tiles.

Here are the designs that I chose for my coasters:


Here are the designs that Alison chose for her coasters:


First, spread Mod Podge over the tops of the tiles.


Next, you're ready to stick your pre-cut piece of scrapbook paper on top.


Once you're pressed the paper on the tile firmly, apply 2-3 coats of Mod Podge over the paper.


Wait approximately 20 minutes to let the tiles dry. Once they've dried, you're ready to spray them with the Acrylic Spray. Spray a few coats of acrylic sealant on the tops of the coasters and let dry in a room-temperature location. (Don't leave them outside to dry in colder temperatures).


Once they've dried, you're ready to place the felt pads on the bottom of the tiles. You can use rectangular shaped felt pads for the bottom; however, I chose to use the regular-sized circle pads because they were more cost-effective. Place a felt pad on each of the corners of the tiles.


Once your felt pads are on, they're done! :) 
Here are our finished products - I love they way they turned out!
I feel like they add the perfect pop of design and color to our living room!





No comments:

Post a Comment