Sunday, October 25, 2015

Nursery Stage 4 (The Closet)

This has been one of my favorite parts of doing the nursery!

For all of you that know my Dad - he can pretty much create anything or do just about anything that you have in mind... he's quite the handyman! (Let's be real... they don't call him "Stan-the-Man" for nothing - ha!) I'm an extremely sentimental person, so not only did I want my Dad to build Bennett's closet because I knew that the job would be done correctly and without me having to stress about it  (because literally - I'm telling you that he can do anything!) but what was more important to me than that, was how much it meant to me to have him work on something in the nursery - something that would always remind me of him, each time we were in the room!

So - enough of my sappiness - it was time to figure out exactly what I wanted the closet to look like!

We brainstormed and looked at quite a few options and materials for shelving and hanging areas to come up with our plan! Side note: I'm thankful that our townhouse has huge closets in each of the bedrooms - because anyone with a baby or that is planning for one, knows exactly (or can imagine) how much stuff you can accumulate! And the scary part is that Bennett isn't even here yet, and he already has so much! From clothes to supplies to diapers to bath things - you name it, whatever it is - I wanted to have a neat place to put it all, that wasn't cluttering up the house. (Especially with a townhouse, there isn't much room for storage, so the more you can keep organized and neatly tucked away, the more free and open space you have!)

I knew that I wanted lots of shelves and 2 rows for hanging clothes. Also having space for tubs was ideal as well - if we could make it happen. Dad came one day on the weekend to do all of the measurements and to sketch out a plan and viola! We had a master plan for Bennett's closet :)


Over the next couple of weeks, Dad picked up the supplies, painted all of the materials that needed to be painted and we planned for a day for him to come while he was off of work to put it all together.

Here is what the closet looked like before (one big empty space with doors):


And here are the progress pictures from Dad and Eric working on the closet:






^ the supervisor that fell asleep on the job

And here is the finished product! I couldn't be more happy with it! There is so much space for storage with the shelving, in addition to lots of space for hanging clothes. Also what's nice about this closet, is that any of the shelves or hanging bars can be easily removed if more space is needed for larger items.




Now we're ready to start putting things away and clearing up the piles/tubs of Bennett's things that have been taking over Eric's man room and the guest bedroom/closet! I can start figuring out what we'll want to put in the furniture drawers, and what belongs in the closet. (My organized and OCD self cannot wait for this part!)

Dad - we can't thank you enough for all of your hard work and for helping us with this huge project! It means more to us than you know - and we loved having you, and spending time helping you put this plan into action! :) We love you! (And our new closet!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment