Sunday, October 19, 2014

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup

One of my goals for this fall was to try more soup recipes in the crock pot. 
I came across this one and it sounded so good. I'm glad we tried it - it turned out amazing! :)

Ingredients:
- 1 lb chicken breast (cooked and shredded or cubed)
- 1 15 oz can of corn
- 1 1/2 15 oz can diced tomatoes, drained 
(I used Rotel for more flavor and spice)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small can of diced green chills
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. pepper
- Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Corn tortillas for topping
(I crushed tortilla chips that we already had for this topping)
- Avocados (cubed)

You can also add  a can of drained black beans to this recipe; however, I'm not a huge bean fan, so I decided to leave it out.


Not pictured - cheese, avocados and tortilla chips.

First, you'll want to cook and shred or cube the chicken. I wanted the soup to be heavy on the chicken and less "brothy" so I baked 3 big chicken breasts in the oven for 40 minutes on 350 degrees. To add more spice to the soup, I used cajun and Italian seasoning on my chicken. When the chicken was cooked, I shred the chicken with two forks. 

Note: I knew that I wanted to start the crock pot early on Sunday morning so that it could cook all day, so I baked and shredded my chicken Saturday night to save time for prep in the morning.

Add all ingredients except for the cheese, corn tortilla strips and avocados to your crockpot.



Cook on Low for 8 hours (or high for 3-4 hours).



When you're ready to serve, add the cheese, avocado cubes and tortilla strips!
We also served ours with corn bread and sprinkled this amazing hot spice "Slap Ya Mama" from Louisiana that I received from a sweet LEOW that lives there!





Enjoy! :)

EXTRA: Here is Tucker helping with blogging this evening :)


No comments:

Post a Comment