Thursday, October 9, 2014

DIY Project: Necklace Storage (In Your Closet)


One of my favorite DIY projects from a couple of months ago is the storage I added in my closet to hang my necklaces. I love statement necklaces and have acquired quite a collection over the years (a huge thanks to Etsy for making it so easy and affordable to have so many options!)

One of the things that I hated about my "collection" was that all of my necklaces were scattered between two drawers in my dresser, and because of that, I found myself never wearing them. Not only was it a pain to dig through the drawer of necklaces to find one, but once I found one that I wanted to wear, I usually had to un-tangle that necklace from another. Also, because everything was jumbled and unorganized, I didn't realize until just recently how many necklaces I had to choose from, and the really fun ones that I forgot I had!

After looking through different pins that I had previously saved on Pinterest, I found an idea that I really wanted to try. Eric and I have separate closets in our master bedroom, and in my closet, I have one pretty large, empty wall. There wasn't enough space to add additional shelving on this wall, so the wall has been bare since we moved into our house about 2.5 years ago.

I knew that HomeGoods was the best place to start to purchase my materials. Based on what I found on Pinterest, I made my shopping list:

- 2 Curtain Rods
- 2 Packs of Shower Curtain Hangers (I ended up needing to go back for a third pack of hangers after realizing that I had more necklaces than originally anticipated).

The curtain rods came out to be about $11.99 each, and the packs of shower curtain hangers were $5.99 for 12 hooks. The whole project cost about $41.95 but after using a gift card that I had from rewards points, I didn't pay anything out of pocket for my materials! :)

Once my materials were purchased, I had Eric hang the curtain rods on my closet wall. (Originally, I think that he thought I was crazy - but after the project was complete, he was quite impressed!)

After digging through my drawers of necklaces, untangling them and pulling out some to donate that I no longer wanted, I hung my short statement necklaces on the top rod, and the longer necklaces on the bottom rod. 

This is what my finished project looks like (even Tucker posed for a picture)! I'd like to eventually add different hooks/hangers to organize my bracelets... maybe a DIY project for the near future!




No comments:

Post a Comment