Saturday, October 11, 2014

Fall Decorations (that don't break the bank!)


Fall is hands down one of my favorite seasons, and what's not to love about decorating for fall? I like to keep decor simple around my house and do not like to clutter my tabletops or countertops. 

Most of my favorite decorations were DIY projects, and are made from recycled materials used from other events/projects that I had made in the past. 

One of the inspirations to start my fall decorating was this awesome wreath that my girlfriend Ashley made for me. She's so crafty and can seriously whip up anything she finds online (you should see the cakes that she's made for birthday parties!) I love anything rustic looking, and this fit me perfectly!


Last year after the fall season, I purchased this heavy metallic pumpkin from Big Lots. The original price (still actually on the sticker on the bottom) was $12.99. Since it was the end of fall and the majority of their fall decorations were marked down at that time, I was able to get this gem for 60% off! Also, my Aunt Carla gave me this cute owl candle holder and vanilla scented candle (perfect for my fall theme!)


A few weeks ago, I made a return trip to Big Lots to look for small decorations that I could use/pair with mason jars. I still have a ton of large, small and mini mason jars left over from our wedding last June and like to use them often. I found a big bag of colored acorns, three simple wire pumpkins to put tea light candles in, a set of three sparkly orange pumpkins, and a large container of candy corn (all for under $25 total).

I used 16 oz. mason jars to fill with the colored acorns. Around the rim of the mason jar, I tied a bow from the leftover raffia that I had from our wedding. I think they turned out pretty cute! Also in this picture, I have a glass leaf dish that I picked up two falls ago from the $1 aisle at Target - the perfect dish for either candy corn or other fall inspired treats. Additionally, my sweet friend Sandy gave me this amazing smelling Pumpkin Apple candle (side note - I will definitely be purchasing another on of these before the season is over!).


On the shelf by the stairs in our living room, I placed these cute wire pumpkins along side the Orchid and pictures we have there - I love how simple they look when lit!


These fall-colored flowers were actually a bouquet from my dear friend Mallory's wedding, two years ago! They are sitting in a white china container that belonged to my Great Grandmother, on the shelf in our kitchen that holds my cookbooks and small vases. Also next to the flowers, I have another mason jar full of acorns and a mini mason jar filled with candy corn. Again, simple and easy fall decorations made from materials I already had at home.


Of all of the other decorating I've done around other areas of our home, one of my most favorite things to do for fall is to decorate our door and front porch. Here is a picture of Eric, Tucker and I taken in early September with our new wreath and our fall mums. We also now have a medium sized pumpkin on our porch too :) (Note - we planted our mini mums located on the steps, in the containers that my mother-in-law made our rehearsal dinner center-pieces in! They are my favorite color, and it reminds me of that awesome weekend each time I look at them!) 


I love seeing everyone else's fall decor and gathering new ideas to spruce up other areas of our home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment