Monday, December 15, 2014

DIY Chalkboard Gift Tags / Ornaments

Another DIY Chalkboard Craft! 
(Because who doesn't love chalkboard crafts?!)

While browsing through Michaels for little items for a crafty present that I was mailing, I came across these cute little guys in the wooden crafts section. With Christmas right around the corner, I immediately thought that I could spray them with chalkboard paint to use them for something crafty. 


I already had the chalkboard paint, so all I would need were the actual pieces to paint. They were originally 29 cents each and I ended up getting 5 of them for 87 cents total with a 40% off total purchase coupon. A fun craft for less than a buck!

Materials:
- Chalkboard paint
- Chalk or Chalk Markers
- Old piece of Cardboard
- Raffia / Twine / Ribbon

To start, you'll want to lay the wooden pieces on an old piece of cardboard.


Next, you can spray a thin layer of chalkboard paint. Let them sit and dry for about 20 minutes. Once one side is finished, you can flip them over to spray the back. I ended up doing 2 layers of paint on each side for a nice, thick coat.


Once they're dry, you're ready to start decorating! 


Here's one that I made and added raffia to:


(The back says "Love, Eric, Brooke & Tucker" and "2014")

You can use them for a gift tag:


And then that person can use it as an ornament :)


They're super cute and I love that you can re-use them for another purpose 
vs. simply throwing away once you open a present. 

No comments:

Post a Comment