Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes (From Scratch!)



I made these this past weekend for my boss' birthday. I typically go right to boxed mixes when making cupcakes - they're easy and I never have to worry about messing them up! I wanted to try a new recipe for cupcakes from scratch, and came across this one on Pinterest. I was nervous because there were 2 ingredients that I had never baked with before - so I was terrified that they wouldn't turn out okay. They ended up tasting delicious and were easy to make! I'll definitely be making these again :)

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 cup cake flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk (If you don't have buttermilk, you can do 1/2 cup milk plus 1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice. Add acid to the milk and set aside for 5 minutes before using. I used actual buttermilk.)

Directions:

  1. In a medium bowl, add cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
  2. Using an electric or stand mixer, add eggs and beat for 10-20 seconds. Add sugar and continue to beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add vanilla and oil.
  3. Slowly add about half of the flour mixture, continue to mix. Add in half of the butter milk, continue to mix. Add in the remaining flour mix and milk. Beat until well combined.
  4. Pour batter into your muffin pans so that they are approximately 2/3 full.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes. Cool in pan for 1-2 minutes and then remove to finish cooling on a wire rack.
I topped the cupcakes with cream cheese icing and sprinkles :)

No comments:

Post a Comment